Benjamin's Tutoring Profile
PhD candidate in Aerodynamics with a Master's of Engineering (Aerospace and Aerothermal Engineering) from the University of Cambridge.
- University of Southampton
- University of Cambridge
I am studying for a PhD in the Aerodynamics and Flight mechanics group at Southampton University and have a Masters of Engineering in Aerospace and Aerothermal engineering from the University of Cambridge (Trinity College). I am an award-winning engineer with national and Cambridge departmental prizes in computational modelling, mechatronics, and software development.
Outside of academia I am a qualified private pilot and experienced technical scuba diver. I am also a reservist in the British Army's Royal Engineers where I support their national airfields infrastructure team.
My tuition approach sees me go out of my way to tailor each session to the individual student's needs. I have hundreds of hours of tutoring experience from GCSE up to degree level in numerical and scientific subjects. I have experience tutoring all the major exam boards in science and maths up to A-level, IB and BTEC.
I have helped multiple students gain offers from Oxbridge in engineering and support UCAS admissions for all other UK universities in engineering and numerical subjects. For students already at university, I have extensive experience in helping with exam preparation, course content, coursework, dissertation support and Matlab/C++ programming in all engineering subjects.
Additionally, I've helped professional clients with applications for consulting roles.
I am patient and friendly, with a highly technical background in both aeronautical engineering and industrial consulting. My background brings a certain real-world pragmatism to approaching problems and the individual needs of my students. I stop at nothing to help get the student the results they deserve.
- BSc Mechanical Engineering and Aerothermal Engineering - University of Cambridge 2015
- MSc Mechanical Engineering and Aerothermal Engineering - University of Cambridge 2018
- PhD candidate in Aerodynamic and Flight Mechanics - University of Southampton 2017 - Present
Awards & Achievements
- Highly commended (top 5) in the 'National Science and Engineering Competition Final' for the design and construction of a Fibre Optic-Operated Robotic Finger.
- Runner up in the University of Cambridge Engineering Department 'Airbus Defence and Space' (formerly EADS Astrium) ‘Mars Lander Prize' for the most innovative solution to the exercise of simulating the entry, descent and landing of a Mars lander.
- Joint winner of the second year 'Accenture Computing Prize' for the design of solar eclipse predictor software.
- Winner of the 'CAPE Acorn Part IIB Project Award' sponsoring the pursuit of a Masters Project in collaboration with industry.
- Member of the winning team of the national 'Founders4Schools Appathon Grand Prize' for a smartphone app built over one weekend.