Dr Karl's Tutoring Profile
Lecturer with extensive online teaching experience, PhD in Philosophy and Oxbridge experience
- Birkbeck College (University of London)
- University of Cambridge
- University College London (University of London)
I am an experienced and passionate teacher whose practice is informed by my work as both a Lecturer and a Tutor at university level (with the University of Nottingham, the University of London and the University of Hertfordshire), as well as by my work in academic philosophy. Having taught throughout my doctoral studies both within my core academic expertise and in other areas, I am highly adaptable in my approach and have a keen understanding of the skills required for any student to write well, especially to meet the demands of higher education. Having studied at both the University of London and the University of Cambridge I also have an intimate understanding of the expectations and characters of different academic institutions.
I have published academic work in Philosophy as well as more publicly accessible work in the subject (for instance, writing for *The Philosophers' Magazine*), and I have also published several pieces of fiction. This has helped to build my strong understanding of the qualities required for clear and effective writing, which I integrate with all of my teaching. I have taught students online both one-to-one and in group settings, from secondary school to undergraduate level.
I am also experienced in teaching at pre-university level, having tutored A-Level and GCSE students in Philosophy, Religious Studies, English and Mathematics. I recently started working with a charity offering tutoring catered to students having to re-take GCSE English or Mathematics, which has given me valuable insight into some of the obstacles students can face when trying to study these subjects.
- 5 years' experience teaching a range of topics within Philosophy and Logic at university level, including large groups, small groups and one-on-one tuition
- 5 years' experience providing proofreading services and writing advice for a wide range of subjects up to university level
- Familiar with teaching ESL students
- Extensive experience coaching students on general essay-writing skills
- Experience providing tutoring for A-Level/GCSE English, Religious Studies, Philosophy
- Experience providing tutoring specialised to students re-taking English/Mathematics GCSE
- Holder of Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Supporting Learning in Higher Education
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Summary of Birkbeck students' feedback, 2016-17: 100% 'Good' or better, including 85% rated as 'Excellent'
- PhD in Philosophy - Birkbeck College, University of London (Pass, No Corrections)
Grad Cert in Teaching and Supporting Learning in Higher Education - Birkbeck College, University of London (Merit)
MPhil in Philosophy - Christ's College, University of Cambridge (Distinction)
BA (Hons) in Philosophy - UCL, University of London (First Class)