Dr Laurie's Tutoring Profile
PhD in International Relations and MA in International Conflict Studies from King's College London.
- King's College London (University of London)
I hold a PhD (no corrections) in International Relations from the Department of War Studies, King's College London. I hold an MA in International Conflict Studies (distinction) from King's College London and an MA (hons.) in Modern History from the University of St Andrews. I grew up in the international environment of Brussels, appreciating the dynamic community and languages on offer, whilst also attending the British School of Brussels and following the A-Level curriculum. Outside of my academic life I enjoy sports, notably tennis and skiing, and am an avid theatre and art goer. I was heavily involved in societies during my undergraduate degree being a part of a musical production at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and gaining the St Andrews Music Department Vocal Scholarship in 2006-2007.
I am an approachable, sensitive, and competent tutor who always takes a considered approach tailored to the needs of a given student. I maintain a balance of academic rigor and making learning and revision fun.
University Teaching/Topic Areas:
* Expertise in International Relations(IR)/Politics and Political Theory, Modern History, Art and Politics (Cultural Studies), areas of Sociology (mainly political sociology/diaspora politics)
* Extensive university teaching experience at King's College London in the War Studies Department (modules 'War in International Order' and 'History of the International System')
* Topics taught include: IR theory, history of the international system, the French Revolution, decolonisation, securitisation, humanitarian intervention, migration, failed states, 9/11
* Courses taken: 'Preparing to Teach in Higher Education' from the Department of Education, King's College London
* Marking and feedback (written/oral) experience for essays, presentations, book reviews, exam scripts, project proposals (BA level)
* Aiding students construct a 3000-word essay question/title and research plan
* Key strengths as noted in student feedback is that I foster a collaborative and positive seminar environment
Study Skills Experience:
* Extensive *study skills* teaching experience and training in HE pedagogical development (King's College London, one-on-one tutorials, drop in sessions, dissertation clinics for BA-PhD level)
* Ability to tutor all aspects of academic writing, developing critical thinking skills, approaching exam/essay questions, larger project preparation
* Constructed and held essay clinics on 'How to write a university essay' and revision sessions on 'Approaching exam questions'
* Presented resources I developed for study skills at the King's 'Annual Library Services Presentation' 2016
I am able to apply the above expertise to the school level, notably in subjects of History and Government and Politics.
- MA Modern History - University of Edinburgh
Masters International Conflict Studies (Distinction) - King's College London
PHD International relations - King's College London
|Academic Writing||A LevelUndergraduatePhDMaster'sGCSE|
|Study Skills||A LevelUndergraduatePhDMaster'sGCSE|
|Government and politics||UndergraduatePhDMaster's|
|Modern History||A LevelUndergraduateMaster'sGCSE|