Dr Claire's Tutoring Profile
Full-time tutor with over 10 years teaching experience, DPhil in Biochemistry from University of Oxford.
- Cardiff University
- University of Oxford
I am an erudite and very capable educator with over 10 years of teaching experience in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics at both GCSE-level and A-level.
I gained my DPhil in Molecular Biochemistry and Chemical Biology from the University of Oxford. During my DPhil I published first-author papers in highly-regarded journals and filed a patent on my research. I also gave undergraduate tutorials and I was an admissions interviewer in the Biochemistry department for three years.
I work full-time as a private tutor and educational consultant. I am highly organized and plan my lessons thoroughly to ensure my students gain in both knowledge and confidence. I also ensure my students develop good examination technique with plenty of practice answering exam-style questions. I am an Assessment Specialist with both CIE and OCR and thus have an excellent understanding of the examination process.
For the past thirteen years I have provided tuition in economics, philosophy, mathematics and psychology on a full-time basis, ranging from KS1 all the way through to PhD level. I have also provided coaching for Oxbridge interviews through the charity Teach First.
I have taught students from various universities including Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, and Harvard. I have also led undergraduate classes at UCL in logic and philosophy, and am a senior mentor for the United Kingdom Mathematics Trust.
- DPhil in Molecular Biochemistry & Chemical Biology - University of Oxford (2011)
- BSc Biochemistry - Cardiff University 2007 (1st)
Awards & Achievements
- Blue Flame Award for most highly requested plasmid - Addgene, Boston
- Best Speaker Prize - Final Year DPhil Symposium, University of Oxford
- Best Poster Prize - RSC Chemistry of the Cell Conference
- Graduate Scholarship - Somerville College, University of Oxford
- Biochemistry Society Project Prize for Best Undergraduate Dissertation - Cardiff University
- K. S. Dodgson Prize for Best Final Year Biochemistry Student - Cardiff University
- Second place in the UK Trainee of the Year Competition - IAESTE
- K. S. Dodgson Prize for Best Year Two Biochemistry Student - Cardiff University
- K. S. Dodgson Prize for Best Year One Biochemistry Student - Cardiff University
- EPTA Piano Trophy - Abertawe Festival for Young Musicians
|Personal Statement||A LevelGCSE|
|Mathematics||A LevelGCSECommon Entrance|
|Physics||A LevelGCSECommon Entrance|
|Chemistry||A LevelGCSECommon Entrance|
|Interview Training||A LevelGCSE|
|General Maths & Science||A LevelGCSECommon Entrance|
|Oxbridge Applications||A Level|
|Pure Maths||A LevelGCSECommon Entrance|
|Oxford Applications||A LevelGCSE|
|Admissions Advice||A LevelGCSE|
|Biology||A LevelUndergraduateGCSECommon Entrance|
|Human Biology||A LevelGCSECommon Entrance|
|Molecular and Cellular Biology||A LevelUndergraduatePhDGCSECommon Entrance|
|Biochemistry||A LevelUndergraduatePhDGCSECommon Entrance|
|Common Entrance (general)||Common Entrance|
|SAT (College Admission Exam)||A LevelGCSE|
|ACT (American College Admissions)||A Level|